Thursday, August 09, 2007

13 + some weely runs

it was about this time last year that my hip pain became unbearable, I took a week or so off, and went to the orthopedist. My hip pain is coming back. I'm hoping it's just a fluke or the result of pushing myself extra hard on my tuesday speed run, but this morning I took several walk breaks to ward off hip pain. I'll just have to up the stretching and keep it in check.

So this week I've done three runs...

SATURDAY
Distance: 13 miles
Where: Glastonbury Training Run
Temps: Hot and Humid
Time / Pace: Over 2 hours - I'd guess an 11 minute pace, including walk breaks.
Goal: Distance

Saturday's run was hot, but not where near as bad as the previous Saturday. I was up late on Friday (11pm is late in my book) because we had a couple friends visting from Boston over, so I was running on a lack of sleep. We started the run in the mid to back of the pack. We were all feeling good, but wanted to stick together, Allison, Jodi and I, so we took it easy. We walked when we needed and ran when we felt like it. Obviously, we ran much more than we walked, but it was nice to have some walk breaks peppered in. Made me feel much stronger during the running. The run went slow and we quickly became the back of the pack. I would be lying if I said this didn' t bother me a little bit. Just once, I'd like to be a fast runner. I know that comes with a ton of work, much more than I've been able to commit to, but still. It would be nice.

We finished the first loop (10.7 miles) and crossed over the starting area where the fast runners were just starting to finish up. We hung around a bit, got some water, and took off to finish the last 2.3 miles. Jodi left at this point - this was her first run in a while and she kicked ass on the first 10.7. Allison and I set in for those 2.3 miles, which stretched on and on. This part of the run by the community center offered little shade and relief from the now blazing sun. We trucked in and finally finished at about 9:15.

TUESDAY
Distance: 4.5 miles
Location: Elizabeth Park loop
Temps: 70s
Time / Pace: 42 minutes / 9.3 pace!
Goals: Speed
Tuesday morning I woke up bright and early (about 5:10) for a run. The run started off rocky - I always say this because the warming up seems to take forever). I picked up the pace with some intervals once I got onto Prospect, which really brought the run up for me. I did three (four) speed intervals, broken up with some slow running, then ran the last 1.5 miles home at a normal pace. I was hot and gross when I got home, but felt good after my first official speedwork ever. yay!

THURSDAY
Distance: 3.5?
Time: I didn't really keep track, probably about 10 or 11 min/mile with walking.
Where: Center to Fern loop
Temps: 70s
Goals: Speed, but that didn't quite work out.
Floating on my happy bubble from Tuesday's speed workout, I though I would try the same for this run. the run started off well, it was temperate instead of the hot sticky weather I was growing accustomed to. By the time I rounded Farmington, i was feeling good. Half a mile later, my hip was hurting and lifting my leg to take the next step brought searing pain. i stopped to stretch a bit, then started. pain was still there. the running itself felt great, i just worried about exacerbating the injury. i walked a block, then ran more. I ran the rest of the run, feeling somewhat better, but still worried about my hip.

tonight, i'm gonna stretch it out, as well as tomorrow. hopefully, i'll be all good for saturday's 10 miler. I'll be taking some advil beforehand for sure, though!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home