Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Okay, I said I would post the day after my reservoir run, but alas I didn't. I'm bad like that. Anyway, the reservoir run, my first at the main reservoir, was fantabulous. It was one of those runs where you smile, say hello to every runner that passes, pass people(!), and feel like you could run two more laps! I ran a total of 10k and felt great almost every second. I like this route because it combines the beauty of nature (you run through trees and around several reservoirs), some hills, and asphalt pavement. I'm a goofy runner and am always in fear of rolling my ankle on a trail. These are the kinds of runs that remind me why I put up with all the bad ones.

So this weekend I ran my second 13 miler (well, kind of the first because the original first only was a 12.5 miler) . Anywho I think after running 15 last weekend, I thought this would be a piece of cake. I started to realize the error in that line of thinking Friday night when I realized it's only 2 miles shorter and I wasn't feeling too hot at the 13 mile point last week.

I started the run at about 8:45 or something, just after the rain subsided. The run was off to a rough start. My legs felt heavy and I didn't feel as rested as usual for a long run. I blame it on the beer I had the night before. I pushed through, but my tiredness pervaded the first three miles of the run. This is becoming a pattern for me. I spend the first two miles of my run getting into the zone, feeling a little awkward, but slowly loosening up. Then I hit the long stretch of Ridgewood, start off feeling every step, but by the end I'm jamming. I guess I should expect it each time, but it's nervewracking that my whole run will be like those two or so miles.

Once I was in my stride, I glided through those next few miles. The air was mild, but with a hint of dampness. I ran until the end of waterside lane before sucking down my first gel, around 1 hr. to 1 hr. 15 min into the run. I tried ingesting it over a few minutes becuase I read some tips that doing so eases digestion and prevents a spike in energy. I can't attest to either, because I didn't notice a difference from usual. I drank most of my water supply with the gel, so I called K for some backup water supplies. He's been so supportive with these long runs and will meet me to replensih my water if I call him. It's been a lifesaver at times.

After meeting K for more water, I trucked through the next couple miles , some of the hilliest(stopping at hour two to eat a couple shot blocks). It wasn't until maybe mile 11 or 12 that my legs really started to tighten up. It all started when I saw a traffic light and assumed that was the road I was turning on, but soon realized that it was another couple blocks away. Nothing like that to blast your drive. And once I stop that late in the run, my legs just feel like lead when I try to start again.

That night I went to a show and was on my feet the better part of the evening. I was a little sore on Sunday, but not too bad despite the circumstances.

This morning, I went on a 4 mile run before work. It's getting harder and harder to get out of bed at 5:15 now that it's dark and cold, but this morning I didn't have too much trouble. Unfortunately, I battled hip pain the entire run. a little alarming, but I'm not gonna stress too much. Aside from that, it was just your typical 4 miles run up and down Farmington. I did see someone running in a reflective vest. how safe!

next up: another 6 miler at the reservoir!


Post a Comment

<< Home